Saturday, March 14, 2009

Peppa Pig & Why Animals Will Never Be the Same Again

A birthday card was being passed around in the office for all of us to sign. It was Geoff's birthday and someone was making fun of the animated pig that was on the cover of the card. It was my turn to sign on the card, and that's when I saw it... THIS was no ordinary pig on the card, it was Peppa Pig!

The minute I said it aloud to myself, I realised that the world of animals will never be the same again for me. Never again will I be able to be casual or indifferent to a dog on the road, or ignore a snail in the backyard, or yawn everytime there is a bear or a camel on a Nat Geo documentary.

It seems part of being parent is having deep and meaningful relationships with the flora and fauna around you, no matter how insignificant you thought they were in your lives some time ago. There is no longer such a thing as a 'dog', it is either Kipper, Scooby Doo, Pluto, Clifford or (if you've been badly hit by the broke financial industry) Churchill. Again, you need to be very specific when you're dealing with bears as well... is it barnaby, paddington, pooh, yogi or care? Is it just any ordinary camel or is it Sally? If you're smart you can get away by taking a lame guess on the names of some less fortunate animals like Mr. Snail and Pingu the Penguin. But, tread very carefully when dealing with creatures that may just look like lumps to you, but on closer look, have much more a personality than you ever will... be it Barney, who has a lot of class despite his humungous ass, the Teletubbies with a window-to-the-world in their tummies, Iggle Piggle who feels sleeping at night is just someone's point of view or Fimbles who could give Picasso a run for his money.

3 comments:

derrin' do said...

Very cute. And SO interesting! You have a very unique, intelligent (and articulate, of course) view on and of parenting. Do post more often, i.e. whenever the full-time job (no, not office), gives you a small, tiny window. :)
Belated Happy B'day, Geoff!

Neo said...

Thanks Derrin... hope to write more

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of Daddyhood! Its amazing that I have an 8 year old and I am still being initiated in to this world everyday with new and interesting perspectives. I know he will outgrow this passion and, sadly, I will too. Its hugely funny to watch an adult on reality shows like "Are you smarter than a 10 year old" struggle with questions on larger than life animals. I can chuckle to myself now that I know the answer to that one - I pray that I never forget and continue to be touched by the innocence of a child till the day I die. Cheers, Arty